MEET SENATOR ERICA SMITH
NAME: Erica D. Smith
ADDRESS: 359 Spring Garden Lane, Henrico NC 27842
FAMILY: Mother lives in Gaston, 5 siblings (3 engineers, 2 educators – 3 with me included); Father – Ret. M.Sgt. Alonza Smith (deceased); Immediate family-I share four sons (3 living) and 1 dog.
North Carolina School of Science and Math, 1988; H.S. diploma
North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University -1994; B.S. Mechanical Engineering,
Pi Tau Sigma Mechanical Engineering Honor Fraternity,
Chancellor’s & Boeing Scholar, Chaplain for Blue & Gold Marching Band,
Tau Beta Sigma Honorary Band Sorority, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Howard University, 2000: M.A. in Religious Studies, Graduated with Highest Honors,
National Coalition of Christians and Jews, Seminarians Interacting Fellow
Eastern NC Christian College & Seminary, 2007 Doctorate of Ministry, (Honoris Causa)
Virginia State University, 2010 Teacher Certification, Commonwealth of VA
MAKE YOUR DONATION TODAY!
We need your support. Chip in $5, $20, or whatever you can afford today.
Erica wants your contribution to create a campaign powered by the people she wants to serve— you.
1. North Carolina General Assembly, Senate Chamber, 2015-present
– First elected in 2014 – Inaugural Session 2015-2017
– Freshman Legislator of the Year (2016 – EMPAC; state employees of NC)
– Political Courage Award (2017 – Lillian’s List)
– Green Tie – Rising Star – (2017 League of Conservation Voters)
– Green Tie – Senator of the Year – (2018 – League of Conservation Voters)
– Co-Chair Joint Legislative Women 2017 (41 member bipartisan caucus)
– Co-Chair Joint Democratic Women 2017
– Chair, NC Legislative Black Caucus 2018
– Senator of the Year (2018 National Organization of Women – NC)
– Senator of the Year (2019 North Carolina Sustainable Energy Association
2. Greensville County Public Schools, Secondary Math Instructional Specialist 2005-present:
– Outstanding instructional leadership promoting student performance at 100% pass rates on End of Course (SOL) assessments in Algebra 1, Geometry, Chemistry and Algebra 2
3. GCPS, Franklin City Public Schools and Sussex Central Public Schools
– School and District Teacher of the Year; 2013
– Former High School Math, Chemistry, Physics Teacher 2005-2017
– Northampton County Public Schools, H.S. Math Teacher 2003-2004
4. The United States Patent and Trademark Office, 1998-2003, Patent Examiner – Chemical Engineering Technology Center
– 100% affirm rate by the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences
– President of Blacks in Government, USPTO Chapter
5. The Boeing Company, Seattle, WA 1993-1998, Senior Specialist Engineer
– 1990-1993 Inaugural Boeing Collegiate Scholar , Student Engineering Intern
– Defense and Space, High Speed Civil Transport, Dark Star (stealth technology), 767-AWACS and Space Station initiatives
6. Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company, Summer 1989
– Piping and drafting design for the USS Theodore Roosevelt and USS Dwight D. Eisenhower Nimitz-powered nuclear aircraft carriers.
7. Ordained Clergy
– Master of Arts in Religious Studies, Howard University School of Divinity
– Licensed in April 2001
– Catechized and Ordained in 2002 through Northampton County & Vicinity Missionary Baptist Association, General Baptist State Convention, National Baptist USA
– Associate Servant, Cool Spring Missionary Baptist Church, 2001-2004, 2011-present
– Assistant Pastor, Patillo Chapel Missionary Baptist Church, 2004-20011
– Second-Vice Moderator (2004-2007); First Vice-Moderator (2008-2011)
– Domestic and Foreign Missions
As a strong, business-minded, public servant- I ask for your prayers and vote in serving as your next United States Senator. I have a solid track record of promoting job creation, education opportunities and economic development initiatives in rural NC through partnering initiatives with urban opportunities, infrastructure investments, and reengineered policies. I am the only candidate in this contest who has worked their way up from grassroots advocacy, county party leadership, and has served on the local and state levels prior to seeking your support to serve our great state on the federal level. I grew up in this state and have made it my home for the last almost 20 years after switching my career from engineering to education. Wherever I have lived – I dedicated my life to serving humanity and working hard as a productive citizen. My credentials, experience and recognitions demonstrate that not only am I the most qualified and committed, but I am truly ONE OF US FOR ALL OF US!
With significant experience in governance – I know what it takes to find solutions, navigate complicated bureaucracies and get things done. I support a progressive and workforce-connected emphasis to K-12 education. As an engineer – I firmly believe that systems should be analyzed and re-engineered for optimization and enhancing outcomes. Northeastern NC has been historically underserved. I have sponsored bills that target incentives for promoting economic development opportunities, investments in our highways/roads, water and sewage systems, broadband, rural center initiatives and programming through our business incubators. Our state is rich with agriculture, eco-tourism, natural resources- including beautiful lakes, rivers, mountains and outer banks. I support environmentally responsible growth that harnesses these resources toward promoting clean energy initiatives, fishing and wildlife protections, and farming. I support solar and wind energy installations, broadband expansion, urban industries and environmental justice for land owners. I have advocated for constituents of NC Senate District 3 from a strong Judeo-Christian perspective that promotes servanthood. I will continue in that same stead for all North Carolinians as your next US Senator. In support of the foundational documents of America – I support the Constitution, including free speech, the right to bear arms, and reconstruction outlined in the 13th-15th Amendments. I am a proponent of equal access for women which should be the 28th amendment. I believe we are endowed by our Creator to be equal, therefore I advocate for equal opportunity, protection, access, pay and rights for all.